Fun with Black Gesso



Hello and welcome to some black gesso magic again but this time with green and gold. Green is not really my colour but I was pushed out of my comfort zone for my DT piece for Anything But A Card this month and I am so glad I was!

Our theme for the month is "Green with Envy" and whilst there is not much "envy" in this tag, there is certainly a lot of "green"! The challenge is well under way but you still have another week to make "Anything But A Card" and join us.

I have been following and watching videos recently by Elena Morgan of Sunshine Studio and loved this video in particular. My tag is based on Elena's techniques but using slightly different products. 



I started by painting black gesso on my tag - the matte black reminds me so much of being backstage at the theatre!

Then I added some texture paste through the new Tim Holtz Flourish Layering Stencil.














Then the fun! I added Luminarte Silk Paints - Celadon and African Jade.

The Celadon is a very bright green but is countered nicely with the jade.




More texture came next with Wendy Vecchi Gold Embossing Paste - I got a bit impatient at this stage and heated it with the heat gun and it bubbled and crackled a bit, but rather nicely!














Then it was time to add some embellishments and a little tissue tape to fill in the gaps. The paper roses were a cheap purchase from Hobbycraft and a handmade one has crept in too! A little bit of bent wire and a metal washer completed the cluster.



 I then used Honey Amber very sparingly on the flowers and the metal highlighting the edges of the petals and the inner buds.




Finally I used a small Finnabair stamp to add white embossing …




… and some text embossing on the top of the tag.



Great fun! and I finally feel a bit more comfortable with the black gesso. 

Thank you for joining me today and I hope you are enjoying a relaxing Sunday afternoon!


Jennie x




Comments

Rita said…
Beautiful piece Jenny. I think the colours look very rich. I have never used my black grasp, but maybe now I'll give it a try. My Shetland scarf is growing a treat. Enjoy Mothers Day. Hugs Rita xxx
I so love this Jennie. The silk colors leaving a hue of black gesso behind is just so classy. The tag it so very elegant with the touch of gold and white.Hugs.
Mrs Beez said…
Gorgeous, gorgeous tag Jennie. Love the colour combination and all the textures.
Gorgeous card, Jennie.
This is a beautiful tag Jennie, love the colours,
XxxRuth
craftysahmiam said…
Another stunning piece and thank you for all of the steps on how you achieved the gorgeous layers
Jenny this is a super duper tag! The luscious green works so well with just the touch of black muting it slightly!
Yep I accept bubbling paint....I'm impatient too! The texture is always different!
So glad you played with green!
Redanne said…
You certainly had a lovely playtime Jennie, I love black Gesso, it always reminds me of chalkboard. I also like it when the paste bubbles up, it just adds another dimension. Your tag is beautiful. Anne xx
Samra said…
Gorgeous tag Jennie!!! I am a huge fan of your work :)
Unknown said…
i love Elena's style and vids too, they're great to watch aren't they? Your tag is so beautiful and the colours are lovely and rich xx
Inkypinkycraft said…
gorgeous textures and love how the gesso gives a depth almost to the colour upon it x
Beautiful Jennie, the silks look very effective.
Julie x
Toni said…
Jennie... this is so pretty... I love using black gesso on my projects and it really allowed your gold embossing to pop !!! Gorgeous
Kathy Bradley said…
Wow, another beautiful piece! I love black gesso. Your tag is absolutely beautiful and the textures and colors are lovely. Thank you for sharing.
Ooh, scrumptious! So dramatic with the black gesso providing depth and detail with the fab texture. Marvellous!
Alison xx