Hitting the Books ............






 HITTING THE BOOKS is our theme this month at Anything But A Card which is a trifle difficult for me as I normally do in most of my projects!  So for something different I thought I would make a hanging ball ornament from folded die cut papers.





I have done this before with the Dress Form Die but thought it would be fun to try another shape - although finding a concentric die is not easy - so I resorted to a circle! I cut my circle die twice and cut one in half, then glued them together to make a segmented ball shape (sorry no photo!).


I die cut circles from an old book and folded them in half.  I used Vintage Photo Distress Ink around the edges of the papers and the segments of the ball shape.







Then I started glueing the papers together, four or five at a time and then glueing them in to the circle segment.  I find it easier to do it this way rather than trying to stick them all individually into the segment.



Not a great photo but here is the finished ball.  It was a difficult shape to work on but there is always something useful to hand! The kitchen towel roll made a great stand.



Then it was down to decorating - some handmade flowers and metal squirls and altered leaves from Hobbycraft which I sprayed with Broken China spray to soften the bright green.



I hope you will join us this month in our challenge - just think about using papers or books in any way you like, just not in a card!  Click the link HERE to go to the challenge post and see the wonderful DT makes and the super entries so far.




We have made some changes at Anything But a Card which we hope you will like and find a little easier for joining in.  



Challenges are now monthly rather than two-weekly as I am sure all of us (including the Design Team!) found the challenges coming around a little too quick!  


Watch out too for our monthly mini challenge spotlighting one of the Design Team.  This month Julie showcased some of her wonderful journals.

Thanks for looking x


Comments

Such lovely inspiration for the challenge, Jennie. Like you, I have book pages bobbing up all over the place, so I love that you pushed the boat out (!) to create something a bit different - and it's worked an absolute treat!
Alison x
Redanne said…
What a clever idea to make a bauble shape from the book pages, it is beautiful and your decoration of it is just wonderful. Love this! Hugs, Anne x
Debbie said…
Wow Jennie. This little book ball is adorable.
Wonder if it could be adapted in green and or red and made into Christmas Baubles, that would be a thought, see if they sold at my next Fair.
Great idea.
Debbiex
Brenda Brown said…
Now that's beautifully original and unique. Love it.
hugs {brenda}x0x
Astrid Maclean said…
What an amazing idea and such a very clever design! Absolutely love what you did with the book pages and the decoration with your beautiful flowers finishes it off just perfectly!
Rita said…
Absolutely Stunning decoration. Jennie. So pleasing on the eye and a really beautiful make. Hugs Rita xxx
Patricia said…
Wow! oh! Wow!
I love this, absolutely LOVE this.
Must have a go, will be back later to study your great Tutorial.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful creation

Patricia xx
Maggie said…
I have fallen in love with this piece of work Jennie and I will "need" to make one thanks for the instructions and as always your flowers look stunning

MaggieH
Basslady said…
my godness! this is such an incredibly beautiful idea!

hugs and kisses from germany,
silvi xoxo
Anonymous said…
I say fabulous job thinking outside the box with the challenge. I love the ornament!